Benefits of 100% rPET
By creating a product that is comfortable and 100% recycled, we actively encourage you— our customer— to rethink plastic waste and repurpose it in a way that simultaneously benefits yourself and the community. We have a superior hand feel, currently the best in the recycled polyester market, and are the only company doing 100% recycled polyester ringspun. Furthermore, 90% less water is used in using recycled polyester than virgin polyester, dramatically decreasing Rethink’s negative environmental impact. Because our products are 100% recycled polyester, Rethink is able to maximize environmental benefits and our garments can offer the use of sublimation printing and may be garment recycled.
Because our products are 100% recycled polyester, Rethink is able to maximize environmental benefits.
Sublimation is a digital print applied to the garment like a photograph. This method is only available on 100% polyester; so blended garments will not have this option. There are many advantages to sublimation, as it allows for great detail, vivid colors, and a nearly undetectable hand feel. While more expensive than the traditional screen print (ranging from $3 to $8 per unit), there are no minimum or maximum requirements for the use of different colors. You can only apply sublimation prints on light colors, thus we recommend our bone color, which is un-dyed and currently the most eco-friendly shirt we offer.
Garment Recycling is a Textile Takeback program that recycles all cut waste from manufacturing and also allows Rethink’s core garments to be recycled at the end of their lifecycle. Rethink is an approved Unifi Textile Takeback supplier and this recycling program, the first of its kind, recycles various polyester based fabrics that are no longer in use. The waste is collected and recycled back into a new product offering, completing the cradle-to-cradle cycle.
Facts about rPET:
- Recycling 1 ton of rPET containers saves 7.4 cubic yards of landfill space
- Every pound of rPET used, reduces energy use by 84% and greenhouse gases by 71%
- Only 7% of all plastic generated in 2009 was recovered for recycling
- When you recycle 1 plastic bottle you save 6 hours of energy from a 60 watt light bulb
- 90% less water is used in making recycled polyester versus virgin polyester
- 51 billion plastic bottles go to the landfills annually
- Plastic bottles in U.S. landfills could wrap around the earth 5 times
- It will take 700 years before plastic bottles in landfills start to decompose
- Less than 10% of plastic bottles in the U.S. are actually recycled
Why recycled polyester vs. other sustainable fabrics?
1. RPET polyester fabric has a 90% lower carbon footprint than nylon
2. RPET polyester fabric has a 75% lower carbon footprint than virgin polyester
3. RPET polyester fabric has a 50% lower carbon footprint than organic cotton
*Information provided by napcor.com, Environmental Protection agency and Earth 911.